Monday, May 14, 2012

Greek Veggie Pitas

Classic weeknight fare going on over here and since it's Monday my healthy eating motivation is at peak. Veggie packed whole wheat pitas with toasted chickpeas. This is crunch I can get behind. 


I learned this trick from Mark Bittman (one my all time favorite food writers) and I've made it more times than I can count. Coat canned chickpeas with olive oil and seasonings of your choice. Broil until crunchy. You'll swear you're eating junk food. 


Tonight I seasoned with garlic, mixed herbs and a healthy dose of cayenne. 



My veggie stuffing included cucumber, red pepper, tomatoes, green onions and kalamata olives. Brought me right back to my Santorini honeymoon. 



Okay, so I "toasted" my chickpeas a bit much. I got distracted by my wine. The extra color totally adds flavor right? 



Tzatiki was called for of course. I do mine with nonfat Greek yogurt, lemon, dried mint (fresh if I have it), garlic and S&P. 


Let the pita stuffing commence. Feta made things even meatier. 


Hello gorgeous crunchy color. The hot, cayenne-ed chickpeas perfectly balanced by the creamy, tang of the yogurt sauce.



Greek Veggie Pitas
Stuffing
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped (I like the English hot house kind... no seeds)
Small handful of kalamata olives
Feta cheese
One can chickpeas -- toasted with olive oil and seasonings 
Whole wheat pitas

Sauce
8 oz container nonfat Greek yogurt
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried mint
S&P
Dress chickpeas with olive oil and seasonings. Broil 10-15 minutes until crispy. Stuff warmed pitas and enjoy with tzakiki sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat! Add your comment here. Note, there may be a delay in posting for comment moderation.