Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pickled Zucchini Ribbon Salad

All of these lithe Olympians had me feeling a little...ahem... un-athletic. So many hours of tempting television and so enjoyable with wine and snacks. I needed something light as a gymnast and quick enough that I wouldn't miss a minute of swimming (I've seriously watched hours).

I love zucchini this time of year and thought I would take advantage with a ribbon-style salad. This also helped me start my ribbon-dancing training for Rio 2016. At 31 I'd be an ancient/gigantic rhythmic gymnastics sensation.

Side note: Do you remember how awesome these 90s ribbon dancer commercials were?




Make your ribbons to start by sliding a vegetable peeler slowly down the zucchini. Give it an artistic flair at the end for extra execution points.



Fire up your onions and you're almost there.


Rice wine vinegar provides the unexpected hit of acidity.


I shall use the purple of the onions to inspire my leotard. I'm envisioning a lot of glitter hair gel in my future.



Pickled Zucchini Ribbon Salad
2-3 zucchinis -- ribboned
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
S&P

Peel zucchini into ribbons using a vegetable peeler, discarding the seedy middle. Saute red onion in olive oil until onions are translucent; 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and rice wine vinegar and saute for 30 more seconds. Combine with raw zucchini and toss. Allow salad to marinate about 20-30 minutes. Also very enjoyable as leftovers the next day.

3 comments:

  1. will we really be 31 the next time the summer games roll around? good god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, i pretty much hum the "ribbon dancer, writing on the wall!" ditty to myself on a weekly basis...good call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know... the age thing IS depressing. BTW, I've been having fun thinking about watching the '96 olympics with you and Hannah. Thanks for being my friend while I was up to my hip in purple cast.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat! Add your comment here. Note, there may be a delay in posting for comment moderation.