Thursday, July 12, 2012

Raspberry Zucchini Couscous Salad

Do you ever have those days where you feel listless and lost? Just without direction?

Sometimes I just wallow in the not-so-great and find that can't bring myself to come up with anything new. I wish I was filled with boundless energy and a bounty of fresh ideas... I really do. Whether it's the 9 to 5 or what is waiting afterward, creativity just isn't always there and that's okay.

These are the days that I'm really thankful for easy-to-follow recipes. I sincerely hope that this blog can be just that for some of you. For me, I turn the photo album I have of handwritten recipe cards and internet printouts. My friends and family know me well and when it came time for my bridal shower, they brought their most precious written recipes, along with plentiful kitchen gifts. I'm so thankful for each and every one...especially on these devoid days.

My mom's good friend, Peggy, provided this one. Raspberry makes for an unexpected partner with zucchini. Thank you Peggy for helping solve my grim day. Sunny raspberries are already making me look up.


The raspberries almost look like the misfit here. I know it sounds odd at first, but these go amazingly well together. Don't you wish we could all go "amazingly well together?" What a lovely place this would be.


Prep for grilling with wide cuts, olive oil and S&P.



Mmmmm...grilley goodness. I can already feel the day getting better.


Simply combine into greatness.


Raspberry Zucchini Couscous Salad
1.5 cups whole wheat couscous, uncooked
6oz fresh raspberries
1/2 cup basil, chiffonade
4oz crumbled feta
4 scallions, chopped
3 zucchini, cut on the diagonal
1/3 cup chopped almonds
Zest of one lemon

Dressing
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice of one lemon

Start by cutting your zucchini in wide, diagonal slices. Lightly coat with bit of olive oil and S&P; grill over medium heat for 5 minutes. Toast almonds in a dry pan, watching closely to be sure they don't burn. Cook coucous accordingly to given instructions.

Combine couscous with cooked zucchini, raspberries, basil, feta, scallions, almond and lemon zest. Whisk together dressing ingredients and toss with salad until well mixed.

Serve alone. Also excellent on greens or with grilled meat or fish.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this with leftover wheat berries tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh... Wheatberries sound REALLY good with this. I had a barley salad last night out at a restaurant and was thinking it would make a good alternative too.

    Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat! Add your comment here. Note, there may be a delay in posting for comment moderation.